Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Red Velvet Ice Cream

There are so many things that were new to me when I came to the US. One that stands out is Red Velvet Cake. I had never heard of it before coming to New Jersey. Now it is easily one of my favorite flavors.
I've seen it as an ice cream in the store. And I like to experiment, so I decided to try my hand at a Red Velvet Ice Cream. I made it very similar to the vanilla ice cream. I used buttermilk instead of regular milk and added some cocoa powder and vinegar - to stay true to the red velvet taste. Because I didn't know how buttermilk would react being heated with the egg, I just switched and used the cream for the custard. I knew that since I doubled the amount of cream used in the custard I would need to double the egg as well. This made it more rich, if you don't want it to be so rich just use 1 cup of cream for the custard and add the other cup when you add the buttermilk.

Red Velvet Ice Cream Recipe

6 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp vanilla
red food coloring to desired color

Combine first four ingredients in a pot. Heat, stirring constantly, until almost boiling. (it will be nice and thick) Pour into a chilled bowl and add the last five ingredients.
Cover with plastic wrap - make sure the plastic wrap touches the batter - and chill for several hours.
Set up your ice cream maker. Freeze as per directions for your machine.
Pack into storage container and freeze for a couple hours before scooping.

**note: it's MUCH easier to really incorporate the cocoa powder well if you mix it with a liquid to form a paste, and then slowly add more and more liquid until it's easy to incorporate. This is a trick I do when making hot cocoa and it totally slipped my mind to do it this time.


I procrastinated photographing this and there is no photo because it disappeared so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment